(845) 359-5050Serving Westchester County and Rockland County, New York

Elevation Certificates

An Elevation Certificate, or FEMA Certificate, is a form developed and issued by The Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) and completed by a Professional Surveyor and Mapper. This form identifies the flood and non-flood hazard areas in which a particular property is located. The form also indicates the elevation of the building.

The Elevation Certificate provides information for insurance companies, lenders and community flood control administrators and is is used by insurance companies for the purpose of quoting your property flood insurance rates.

Elevation Certificates are required by the National Flood Program which is administered by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA). This certification is required in areas which have been identified as having a potential for flooding.

On June 7, 2007, new flood maps were issued in Harris County and a portion of other adjoining counties. The county has had serious subsidence since the previous mapping. The increase in impermeable improvements like concrete, rooftops and asphalt has increased runoff.

Because of the new maps many lenders are requiring Flood Elevation Certificates in areas which previously were not in a Special Flood Hazard Zonea. In some cases it is possible that an area within a Special Flood Hazard Zone is actually higher than the base flood elevations. In that case FEMA allows for a single lot Letter of Map Amendment to take a lot or a subdivision out of the flood plain.

The land owner must prove that the natural elevations in that area were incorrect and that the property is higher than the Base Flood Elevation in that area. The findings will be reflected on future flood maps. The LOMA may reduce insurance costs. FEMA also allows for a Letter of Map Revision in the event that some type of change to the land has occurred and the elevation has risen. Channeling and levees may also have reduced flood risk.

Please contact us for your elevation certificate needs.